From Worker to Backpacker all in the Space of a Day!
We have finally got some good news. We got our Canadian working holiday visas approved yesterday. I’m so happy right now; I don’t know what to do with myself. So much to think about… flights, insurance, what to bring, where to stay. I’ll have to go out and dust off the snowboard gear now and try on the new snowboard jacket and trousers Ruth got me for my birthday. Oh shit, what about the bears? Do I need bear repellent? Will Boots have bear repellent?!!!!!!
Here is an Updated Summary of how the IEC Visa Application went for us:
Working Holiday Canada Visa Application Process:
|Friday 23rd Dec –||We applied direct through the IEC website.|
|Friday 13th Jan –||Confirmation mail for receipt of application from IEC London.|
|Monday 16th Jan –||Email -We have been provisionally accepted – payment requested – email a copy IMM 1295 form to the Canadian Visa section.|
|Friday 20thJan –Thursday 26th Jan –||Email – Our payment was verified – We are through to the next roundMedical Examination Email ( We didn’t require so we ignored it)|
|Thursday 09th Feb –||Letter of Introduction received.|
- Make sure to save a validated copy of the IMM 1295 form as this is required at a later stage.
- When sending the money to the AIB account. There is not enough room for full WTN Number (LDN-IE-12-WHP-0000XX) so we just put it as LDNIE12WHP0000XX i.e. without dashes. (this worked for both of us anyway)
- From reading various forums, the lead time seems to be increasing as more apply, so your dates may be slightly longer than those above.
- Take a photo copy of all documentation before sending (we forgot to)
- Use registered post
- Have plenty of patience
- Apply ASAP, as the Visa is Valid for a year and once you have it, that’s when the fun begins.
- You dont need proof of funds anymore for the application process, u will however need proof at your port of entry
As previously discussed, we decided to apply directly to the Canadian Embassy in London. Although we had some doubts throughout the visa process as to whether we had made the right decision, I can confidently say that applying directly is the best way to apply. The application forms are fairly straight forward and an instruction guide is provided on the website.
Police certs (takes up to 6 weeks), passport photos, passport photocopies are all straight forward. So if you take into consideration the above notes, the process should run smoothly for you. For more information see my earlier blog post.
What Happens Now?
Well it took me about 2 hours to build up the courage to tell my boss. But I finally manned up and handed in my notice. Now I feel completely free, all the hardship is out of the way and we can begin to plan all the exciting stuff.
My Next week’s blog will provide details on flights, insurance and accommodation etc. oh and I might even reveal my real name.
If anyone has questions about the Visa process, leave a comment below or on the Facebook page, and make sure to press the like button to be notified of any blog updates.
Best of luck applying,
The Loose Moose